Sunday, April 7, 2013

Using your iPad or iPhone to Track Your Health

We are really trying to eat healthier. We view ourselves as careful about what we eat (except when we aren't) . Still, food that seems good may not be good for us (duh). We gained a little more awareness recently when our daughter visited the Houston Headache Center and was consulting with a neurologist about her migraine headaches. Among other things, he told her to completely give up diet soda, anything else with Aspartame, and any food with any form of MSG. 
This sent me on a hunt for foods with MSG. I had heard from my nephew's wife Spring that MSG is disguised by other names. So, of course I Googled, "other names for MSG". I printed out a chart of other names for MSG, and have been on a mission to avoid those foods.
When I told my friend, Sherry, she said, "Well, what about Fooducate?" I had TOTALLY forgotten Fooducate, which has a free app for iPhone and Android. In fact, other than downloading the free app, I had not looked at it again. She thought that it would identify MSG.
So, now I have created an account and used Fooducate. I found a daily tip sheet at Fooducate.com which gives the many names of MSG. It also gives a letter grade to the foods you eat, and tells you why (i.e. high sodium, high sugar, etc.). 
One of the nice things about Fooducate is that you can scan a food's barcode and get an instant grade.
My husband's Fig Bars that he got from Costco (liked them so much he bought two boxes) has 5 teaspoons of sugar in a very small 2 serving package, which he has been eating every day. Actually, Fooducate rated this product a C+.
I did a search in the App Store for Fooducate and could not find it, so if you are interested in downloading it, go to www.fooducate.com.
I am using some other health apps as well, but that will be another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment